When I think of tacos I normally think of one thing: Taco Bell. When I first got my driver’s license, I thought it was so cool that I could go anywhere my heart desired. So of course my friend and I decided to go to Taco Bell every possible chance we had. The funny thing is that I never really liked or craved meat, but something about that fast food chain’s menu brought the beef loving girl out of me. I couldn’t get enough of their tasty tacos and couldn’t care less about the possibility of unhealthy mystery meat.
I like to blame the obsession on my parents since I was never privileged to a normal family taco night where the kids were able to make their own delicious creations, but all has been forgiven. Don’t get me wrong, even though my love for meat has pretty much disappeared, I still find myself at the late night drive through once or twice a year – TB will always have a place in my heart!
I found these meatless tacos while searching online. Meatless you ask? Meat is what makes a taco, a taco! Well no beef needed here. With these delightful, spicy crumbles you won’t be missing out. Now for you die hard meat lovers, I won’t sit here and try to convince you that you won’t realize it’s not meat. Trust me though when I say they’re amazing. The bonus is you will feel good knowing you won’t consume fattening beef and can walk away from the dinner table still feeling light. So get out your toppings and try a taco a night with a twist – make it a meatless one!
- 1 pound ground meatless crumbles
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (there are Vegan brands such as Annie's)
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 whole wheat crunchy taco shells or tortillas
Taco Topping Options:
- Salsa Verde
- ¼ heart of romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup vegan sour cream or Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup vegan shredded “cheese”
- Chopped tomato
- Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and put over medium heat. Place meatless crumbles in pan. Add all the other ingredients, sauté to warm and combine flavors. Stirring and breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon or spatula, until the meat is browned. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, bake the tortilla shells according to the instructions on the package (generally about 15 minutes)
- To serve, put the meat, tortillas and toppings on the table and pass the plates. Everyone can enjoy assembling his or her own taco.